Thursday, December 17, 2009
My Quilting Guild is having an apron swap tonight. Naturally, I began sewing two days ago. The woman I am making for is an extra-large size so I decided that a smock apron would be best for her (plus I love smock aprons.)
I didn't have a pattern for an apron, but I had a pattern for a shirt Simplicity 2962, which I figured I could modify. I tried to find a pic of the pattern to link to, --Apparently this pattern is no longer for sale. It is a simple round necked smock shirt. I made the front and the yoke front. Then I realized that I had to make the back yoke and part of the back (to finish the sleeve hole.)
I won't detail all the backwards sewing (seam ripping) I had to do as I realized over and over that one more piece would have to be added.
I modified the pattern by making it open in the back with one button at the neck. Also, the back piece is much shorter because I ran out of fabric.
I hope she loves it.
I even overcame my laziness and put on ric-rac.
Now I wish I was keeping it for me. I guess that is my assurance that I did well.
I also FINALLY finished binding this table runner--which I started 3 years ago. It is already off to it's new home. Someday I'll finish a quilted project for myself.