Thursday, August 2, 2012

South Dakota, camping style, Part 3: In which I will not mention toilets.

Monday morning, we drove the scenic Needles Loop Highway and looked at the beautiful granite outcroppings and pine trees.  On a whim, we stopped at a lookout and saw this:
The Needle's Eye
 The kids had a great time scrambling and climbing on the rocks.
Ana is a fearless climber.

Even Isla got excited about climbing.

Gwenny

Renata

Benji used to be so cautious when he was 2.  What happened?

Rock Monkeys

We had to go through 3 tunnels like this one.  I held my breath for extra skinniness the whole time.  Didn't you know holding your breath makes you skinnier? 

I felt like the Knight Bus in Harry Potter.

We had planned on touring Wind Cave, but we should have checked before driving all the way there, because it was closed due to prairie fires.  Instead we went swimming all afternoon in Sheridan Lake.  The water was pretty green smelling, but the sandy beach was nice and green water is better than no water when you haven't showered in 2 days.



For lunch we had PB&J and pretzels with nutella.  Everybody liked that.  For dinner I made a rice & hamburger & tomatoes & cheese thing all in the frying pan.  It tasted fine, I thought, but the kids hated it.  Can't win em all, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment