Monday, November 19, 2012

Going to church Commando style

So yesterday after church we headed up to hang out with the Dear Husband's family.  It's been way too long since we got together so we had a sort of combined Thanksgiving dinner/November birthday celebration pot luck.  There are 5 of us born in November- that it is the best month of the year to be born in, goes without saying. 

It was a very random potluck indeed.  We had Chili pork roast, potato casserole, chilequiles, spanish rice, green salad, greek pasta salad, bacon macaroni & cheese, sushi, birthday cake, lemon cupcakes, and pumpkin gooey cake (with real whipped cream.)  It was all good.

My kids had a blast with their cousins.  My favorite was watching my 4 year old playing with her 15 year old cousin. 

The Dear Husband's youngest brother brought "just a friend"  with him to dinner so that added drama to the day.  You can't tell me that people bring "just a friend" to family Thanksgiving Dinner.

Speaking of drama, rewind to church. reeeet. (that's the sound of us rewinding.)  About half way through sacrament meeting this happened:

My friend's 13 year old daughter leaned back from the pew in front of us and whispered, "Cutie Pie doesn't have a diaper on."

I was like, "Duh, she hasn't worn diapers for awhile."

Friend, "She's flashing everyone."

I look over, and my 4-year-old is laying on her back in the bench, legs in the air, dress over her head, no undies in sight.  

You've got to be kidding me.  I personally dressed her and she had panties on when I dressed her.  Sigh.  She and I exit the meeting.  I took her out to the van, thinking I had a spare pair for her, but no luck. So she got to wear a much too small diaper for the rest of church.  I asked her where her panties were and she said,

"I forgot them at home."

I wanted to be like HOW COULD YOU FORGET THEM, but she is only four and also, no one would have ever known if she had kept her feet down.  I knew the real reason I was bothered was because I was embarrassed.  (Did you ever notice that the word "embarrassed" has the words Bare and a$$ in it?) 

I know people have different opinions on the subject of nude children.

My husband's parents never allowed their children to be naked because naked children = poverty.

My parents had naked children running around on the farm all the time because naked = the glorious freedom of youth.  All too soon we have to grow up and wear clothing in order to be socially acceptable so why not let the little kids enjoy it while they can.

I guess I still feel that way.  The man of the house doesn't call me his Ferengi wife for no reason....la la la.

What's your opinion on going commando/living life clothing optional?

I already know that at least 2 of my sisters think that if we lived in a nudist colony, at least we wouldn't have to do laundry.

And another of my friends considers undies to be dispensible/disposable in certain situations.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my....didn't expect that link to happen. Thanks.

    I think that proves that we should wear them. You never know when you'll need to use them in another way.

    ReplyDelete