Thursday, January 3, 2013

Begin at the Beginning? Maybe not....

"Begin at the beginning.  And when you come to the end, stop."
So I've figured out my problem.  My problem is I always want to talk to people the same way I blog.  I want to begin at the beginning of my story and tell how I progressed and how my thought process altered and then show where I am now.

The problem with that method is that my first sentence is often in direct contradiction to where I am now.  So then when I'm at a party and talking, people hear my first sentence and are like, "Whoa, that's not right."

Then they get this look on their face like, "I'm not happy with what you're saying." 

OR WORSE, they interrupt me and say, "You really think that?"

And I'm all, "No! Wait! let me finish!" and I get all flustered.

And sometiems they are all,"I'm done listening," and I don't ever get to explain my story. Or worse, in trying to defend my story, I make some gross generalization that I'm way too smart to actually believe myself and totally cut the ground right out from myself.

I need to start at the end and then go back to the beginning.  Important information first.

Maybe I should blog that way too.  Important information first and then fill in the back story.  Maybe you all read my first sentence and are like, "Leaving now." and never finish it to find out how I learned something.

Come back, I promise I'm smarter now.

No comments:

Post a Comment