Friday, February 8, 2008

"Oh, the cleverness of me"--a handmade nativity


I made this little nativity set because I wanted one that my kids could play with. My aunt says I need to make a pattern up for it and I am working on it. I hope you all are excited. It is just acrylic felt and DMC floss. I am working on making the bottoms flat, so they stand up better.


shepherd

Three Kings

Holy Family

dialogue between me and my son:
Boy: "Mom, why is there yellow around baby Jesus's face?"
Me: "Well, I wanted to show that he is from Heaven and special, so I gave him that golden halo."
Boy: "Why does the wise man have yellow around his face?"
Me: "Umm, well, because he is a king, so he has a golden crown, plus, I like yellow and purple together."
Boy: "Why don't the other wise men have yellow, too?"
me: "Sigh. I don't know."




I teach the 14 & 15 year old young women at my church. Wednesday night we had a program where we talked about "Be the Girl of your Dreams." We needed a castle, so I volunteered to make one. I took an old sheet, a sharpie marker and some acrylic paint and panicked. Luckily, my sister, Mary, came over and she gave the the courage to start. I sketched out what I wanted on paper. She suggested that I add in some random stones and said it looked great. So I took a deep breath and attacked the sheet with the sharpie. Then she helped me paint it. We mixed a little water with the paint because the sheet was soaking it up so fast. I am really proud of how well it turned out, even though it was pretty much all luck. The best part is, that now I have the sheet forever for when my kids want to play dress up. Lots of paint soaked through onto my table. Luckily, MOST of it washed off. *whew*


Last of all, I know yesterday, I said I don't like to put in too many links because it gets overwhelming. I know when I go to other people's blogs and the link list is a page long, I am like--how could I ever visit all those?
But I had to update my link list because it was woefully short. So, I added some links and I added a description of each one so you all could make better decisions about which ones to try. Rest assured, these are my most favorite blogs, nothing so-so here, only the most marvelous here.

4 comments:

  1. Boys! Joe asks millions of questions like that and leaves me shaking my head. I have vowed to instill both my boys with some knowledge of why women do what they do but with him turning 12 now I think it is a losing battle.
    The castle is FANTASTIC. I figured it would be. You should put a sleeve on the back of that or tabs and hang it in the girls room on the wall or something like that. It is too wonderful! I know what I want for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the nativity!! My kids would eat it up!! no really..they eat everything!

    Your YW backdrop is amazing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is adorable. So clever.

    ReplyDelete