Saturday, October 11, 2008

Roman Shades

I have in my house what we call the "Big Room." It is located over our garage and is 18 feet wide and 24 feet long. The kids play there--it is our family room and it is glorious. It has 4 large windows, two on the south and two on the west. Because of those windows, our Big Room gets pretty warm in the afternoon, and there is a constant glare on the TV. So I wanted to make curtains. My husband likes streamlined, modern things, so I decided to try roman shades. I guessed how much fabric I would need and purchased it. Plus lining, ring tape and nylon cord. Then I put it in a pile and was too scared to do anything else--even though my sister-in-law loaned me a great book on making curtains by Better Homes & Gardens.

PRAIRIE HENS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wonderful friends Lucy and Jill came over and forced me to start. They cut out the fabric and cleaned my kitchen too!

They had to go home then, so now it was up to me to be a big girl and finish my project. First I got out my trusty Bernina 1008 which I have owned for 11 years now. I bought it with my very own money when I was 19. Occasionally, I see other machines with lots of fancy stitches or Aunt Lucy's Pfaff, which is better for quilting, and experience a flash of envy. But this little work horse of mine always does what I need it too.



Then I sewed the lining to the face fabric. I really debated about how to attach the ring tape to the shades. The book was pretty vague at this point. It just said, "Sew around the ring tape." But I didn't want sewing lines up and down the whole shade. I have never seen one like that. Finally, I pinned it on



and then tacked it with my machine below and above each ring. That worked great.



Up close, you can see the stitching when the light shines through. (PS isn't my fabric awesome !) My DH helped me to hang them in the windows.



FINAL NOTE : My sister doesn't know what DH means--she says in softball it means "Designated Hitter". I guess that works, but what I mean is "Dear Husband." Which I think is nicer than "Hubby" and fast to type, besides. So I hope no one is confused any more.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, the shades are 'simply mah-velous dahling'. We would love to go camping next weekend. I'll call you soon.

    ReplyDelete