Monday, October 24, 2011

Classy


I read Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady earlier this year (sometimes my library does have good stuff--if you can get past the vampire heavy teen section. sheesh! enough vampires already! Just because Stephanie Meyer hit the jackpot, must every publisher bring out a vampire trilogy or two?)

Back to my sweetie pie, Derek Blasberg. He is a genius. Plus he grew up in my home state! Good things can come from Missouri! This book was hilarious and I learned some super useful things too, like:

What do you take as a gift for the hostess of a dinner party when you and your friends don't drink wine?

Answer: flowers! (perfect! I always wanted to be one of those classy people who brought a gift to their hostess, I just could never figure out what to bring. In movies it is always wine.)

How should you dress when flying?

Answer: classy and good-looking! The airport is one of the few places left where you can find a single man, and at least you know that his family can afford a plane ticket! (sheer genius. Heaven forbid I am ever single again, but if that day comes, I'm totally going to hang out in airports to meet guys.)

This book got a few too many negative reviews on Amazon (as in: any negative review was 1 too many.) They were either from people who had no sense of humor or people who write reviews for their own self-aggrandizement.

Mrs. "Everything in the book is quite predictable and even pedestrian," Have you no sense of humor?

Miss "I hardly learned anything," are you trying to impress us with your knowledge-- because I'm very (un)impressed by your inability to learn anything!

Anyway, it was a great read and very fun. It made me want to hostess a dinner party and go buy a cashmere sweater. One more nice thing. Derek recommended some great wardrobe pieces that are worth investing in, but he has a sense of proportion as well. I read and enjoyed Nina Garcia's The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own but my needs won't justify the 5 or 10 cashmere sweaters in all colors like she recommends. Derek's recommendations geared more for starving college student budgets are much more fit to my budget and my lifestyle. Let's face it, I don't get invited to 10 dinner parties a year, so 1 little black dress is really all I could ever use.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I noticed you've been blogging reviews of books pretty often and was going to ask if you've ever tried goodreads? It took me a bit to get into it but now I really enjoy recommendations and stuff that it gives, plus you can review tons on there. Also they have book giveaways and I've only been using it since September-ish and have won 5 books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...free books...I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks L!

    ReplyDelete