Thursday, September 6, 2012

One Lovely Blog

Rules

Seven lovely things about me: 

1. My favorite bird is the cardinal.  

2. I am not even close to the best piano player in anywhere, but I enjoy my own playing to anyone else's because I get the joy of creation and the joy of listening at the same time.

3. The best thing in life is family game night at Mom's house. 

4. The habit that that keeps surfacing when I least expect it is when I tell someone I have a goal and my head says to me, "Yeah but you never do what you say you're going to do."  I've really got to teach that voice in my head that if she can't say something nice, she shouldn't say nothin' at all.



5. Best breakfast I ever had was at a bed & breakfast in Eureka Springs.  It was the fluffiest oven pancake ever, covered in fresh strawberries.  The cook offered seconds and nobody else had seconds, so I didn't either. I really regret that choice.  

6. The most embarrassing thing ever:  

When I was in 8th grade Social Studies class, the teacher was talking about laws and what do we do if they are unfair.  I had just watched Les Miserables and raised my hand.  "I know about an unfair law," I said and began with the guy who was sentenced to prison for 5 years for stealing a loaf of bread and how he finally escaped 19 years later.  I was so engrossed in the story that I kept going and by and by I realized it, I had been talking like FOREVER.  The teacher and the entire class were silent and staring at me.  I had described the entire story to the end, but suddenly I couldn't remember the end because I was so horrified that I had been talking for so long and everyone was looking at me.  I'm not sure how I managed to end it and shut up, but that horror stayed with me so strongly that I HATED the thought of Les Miserables for the next 10 years.  

That teacher was my favorite teacher and I invited her to my wedding reception.  She came and talking to me, found out that I had majored in Elementary Education in college.  She said, "I always thought you would be a lawyer.  I can't remember why I thought that."  

Dun Dun Dun.  I know why.  

It's because she watched a little freckle-faced 8th grader full of fire and indignation rant at the thought of injustice and she thought that kid in pigtail braids might grow up and do something about it.  

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?”

~Marianne Williamson, Return to Love


As a lovely blogger, I would like to nominate Carly The Evans Express.  She shares her family and her struggles and successes and I love reading her tiny adventures whenever she posts.  She is also a rockin' kickboxer.


Part 3 of 4

1 comment:

  1. I loved this. And I used to be just like that: telling a story and then getting nervous when I realized that people were actually listening. I think I got over it in the last year or so. ;)

    I love that ending quote. It is something that is so easy to apply to others, but when I think about it personally for me.... yeah, that's why I *need* that quote. :)

    And I agree that Carly's blog is lovely. Congrats Carly!

    ReplyDelete