Sunday, January 4, 2009
The Ultimate Cookie Recipe is mine! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!
My sister, Amanda, asked me over a year ago to post the ultimate cookie recipe. But I could not because I did not have it. The ultimate sugar cookie would:
1. Taste good and not taste like baking soda.
2. Not require to be refrigerated before rolling (I do not have time for such nonsense.)
3. Not be too soft and sticky when rolled out. (all recipes I have tried were to soft, even after hours of useless refrigerating)
4. Be easy to transfer from the rolling surface.
5. Retain its size and shape when baked and not melt or spread.
I HAVE DISCOVERED THE RECIPE which meets all 5 of these criteria
Here it is: the ultimate sugar cookie
3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) salted butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour (I was successful using 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 unbleached flour)
Cream butter in an electric mixer set at medium speed.
Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
Add vanilla and mix until creamy.
Add flour and mix at low speed until thoroughly mixed.
Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick and cut out.
Place on and ungreased cookie sheet
Notice how even this intricate MOOSE cookie shape did not distort when I picked it up and placed it on the cookie sheet!!
and bake at 325 degrees for 16-18 minutes
or until firm.
Note how they did not melt or spread during baking.
These cookies are crispy when baked for the full 18 minutes. If you like them softer, bake them for less time.
This recipe also works great as the crust for Fruit Pizza