Sunday, May 29, 2011

So, does skinny = beautiful?


I ran accross this article in the New York Daily News.

It was all about how quickly celebrities lose weight after having babies. and how jealous we should all be because they get their "svelt" bodies back so fast. I quote, "Don't hate on them because they're famous. And rich. Hate on them because they look so darn good so soon after having kids."

First of all, Some of them don't appear to have lost that much weight--they're just smartly wearing clothes that camoflage it.

Second of all, I'm sure those celebs who did lose the weight spent like 4 hours a day with personal trainers and weights and treadmills to lose the weight so fast. Also, they ate nothing but salad and vitamin water and they could get away with that because they have maids to clean their houses and don't have to worry about having energy to clean and cook.

But that isn't my main point.

I looked through the photo gallery of 50 different Hollywood stars and Runway models. Each had a baby bump picture and a post baby skinny picture along with a brag about how quickly she got skinny.



The thing I kept thinking as I looked at the pictures was the pregnant celebs were prettier than their post baby skinny selves. Preggo they look glowing and radiant and healthy. On the other hand, in their skinny pictures, most of them have really sharp, anglular faces that look tired and starved next to their rosy pregnant twins. Also, you can see their arm bones under their skin, even on their upper arms.



Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to lose some weight after I have this baby. I would. And I'm proud of those celebrities who had the sense to eat food and feed their growing babies even though that meant they had to work their buns off later (literally). I'm just saying, I don't think skinny is necessarly the only judge of pretty and happy. I don't think the skinnier the better. I'm saying skeletal isn't pretty, in my opinion.
What do you think?



**all pictures came from the article mentioned above

***Yes I cheated and used the pictures that were the most extreme examples of what I'm talking about. But I noticed that many of the preggo pictures were taken at 6 months pregnant or earlier. Thus, those celebs got a whole lot rounder than they let us see.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Some of those women look downright malnourished in their after pics. That one of Tori Spelling? Gross.
    And I looked through those pics. There were plenty more you could've added.
    I think it's all about the person's natural, healthy weight. Go too far over or under that and the result isn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's also the c-tuck. You go have your baby by elective c-section, and then the Dr. does a liposuction and tummy tuck while he's in there.

    Let's combine two major unneeded surgeries at a time when you usually don't need even one.

    On the other hand, maybe I'm just bitter because my due date is here and I still don't have a baby outside of me.

    ReplyDelete